For many people, losing weight is a never ending endeavor. All too often, the effort of shedding a few pounds is followed by a steady regaining of weight. Not only are the lost pounds put back on, many times even more weight is added. This cycle continues to repeat itself because most diets are unsuccessful in the long run.
Sure, you can lose weight in the short term, but without addressing what successful weight loss entails, permanent weight loss is not possible. We’ve put together some of the most advanced weight loss tips to help you finally succeed in reaching your weight loss goals; and, more importantly, ensuring you’ll be able to keep those pounds off.
Top 10 Weight Loss Tips
1. Get Plenty of Sleep – New research has shown that people who get sufficient sleep weigh less than those who sleep less. Try going to bed 30 minutes earlier and sleeping in an additional 30 minutes in the morning. With enough rest, you’ll be less likely to eat out of stress or fatigue.
2.Eat Fruit Twice a Day – Fruit is rich in dietary fiber; it will fill you up without packing on the extra calories. Fruit is mostly water, so it will leave you feeling satisfied. This will help you to eat less.
3. Eat a Balanced Breakfast – Studies show that eating a breakfast rich in carbs and protein can keep blood sugar levels from spiking. When blood sugar spikes, you’re more prone to overeating.
4. Weigh Yourself Every Day – When you weigh yourself daily, you’ll be able to quickly spot an upward trend. If you notice your weight gradually creeping upwards, you can easily step up your exercise routine or cut back on calories in order to get you back on track.
5. Careful with the Alcohol – Mixed drinks can add hundreds of calories to your daily calorie count. An occasional weekend splurge that you plan for won’t be a big problem. Of course, one of our favorite weight loss tips is to stick to a glass of wine – typically about 100 calories.
6. Turn the TV Off – People who eat while watching television tend to consume about 40% more calories according to a recent study. Make every meal something to savor. Sit down, even if you’re alone, and enjoy your meal. You might even want to bring out your favorite china or a pretty bowl.
7. Snack Smart – If you’re feeling hungry, it’s best to grab a healthy snack than to risk a full blown binge because you’re starving. Grab a piece of fruit, some string-cheese or a tablespoon of peanut butter to satisfy your hunger.
8. Build Muscle – Even a short workout, 3 times a week can help build muscle. Do some pushups, sit ups or lunges to build muscle mass. Muscle will increase your metabolism, helping you to burn more calories as you go about your day.
9. Distraction – When you’re craving junk food, find an easy way to distract yourself. Studies show that cravings only last about 5 minutes. Instead of reaching for the chips or a candy bar, call a friend or find something else to distract your mind until the craving passes.
10. Visualize – Visualization is a powerful tool. When you feel overwhelmed or you want to give up, visualize yourself thin. Remember a time when you were at your ideal weight or visualize yourself reaching your goal.